4.01.2005

Jealousy, Turning Saints into the Sea

So, new new wave rockers The Killers are being sued by a former drummer who claims that he wrote their hit song "Mr. Brightside." It's a frivolous claim from what I understand, and not all that interesting. What is interesting, however, is how the interview with frontman Brandon Flowers deteriorates into an old school rock burn of fellow punks The Bravery:

"Look at a band like the Bravery. They're signed because we're a band," Flowers said. "I've heard rumors about [members of] that band being in a different kind of band, and how do you defend that? If you say, 'My heart really belongs to what I'm doing now,' but you used to be in a ska band. I can see the Strokes play or Franz Ferdinand play and it's real, and I haven't gotten that from the Bravery. I think people will see through them."
That there's some strong words from a Vegas bellhop whose band is just an amateurish collage of Blur, Pulp and the Cure. Before you knock others for ripping you off, take a good look in the mirror, and in the 80's section of your local record shop.