4.01.2005

Friday Spies ©

I used to do this weekly feature over at my old blog every week, and I hope to continue the practice here, perhaps even getting my new co-bloggers into it. Anyway, here we go:

1. Have you ever been in a car wreck?

Yes, actually. And I'm quite embarassed (and still a bit hurt) about it, which is why I never mentioned it before. It wasn't really a wreck, per se, but rather a tragic one-car incident on private property. I was backing my ex-girlfriend's father's Chevy Tahoe down his very long, unpaved gravel driveway. The gravel, combined with the size and weight of the Tahoe, kicks up a great deal of dust, so you can't really see anything in front of or behind the truck when you're on the driveway. This presents obvious problems.

The specific problem for me on this particular occasion was that my girlfriend's aging border collie, who was chained to a large oak tree out by their shed, ended up in my path and could not hobble out of the way in time. I never saw her.

2. Sunrise or sunset?

Sunrise, hands down. There's nothing I like better than getting up early in the morning, when it's still dark out and still cold, and venturing out into the chill pre-dawn air to watch the sun rise over the river. The quiet solitude lends itself well to reflection before the business of the workday clouds my mind. Plus, I get to exercise, read the paper, and have a cup of coffee all before I have to walk to work.

3. If you could change, amend, delete, or pass one law, what would it be?

I'm not too fond of the portion of the First Amendment precluding the establishment of religion. I think the separation of church and state isn't all that it's cracked up to be. If we, as a majority of Americans, believe that our lives should be guided by a higher being, what's wrong with acknowledging that and allowing it to control the way we govern our country? Former Senator John Danforth, a Republican and an Episcopal minister, recently argued that Republicans should keep religion out of their politics. I think the opposite. Not only should they keep doing what they're doing, but Democrats would do well to take up a similar strategy.

4. What is your favorite single article of clothing?

I have an old Mr. Rogers-style cardigan that I'm rather found of in the winter. Now that it's getting warmer, however, I'm going to have to say my pair of madras shorts.

5. If you could/had to spend the day hanging out with another blogger (one you don't already know), who would it be and what would you do?

I'm going to state the obvious and say that I'd like to spend the day with Howard Bashman. He seems smart, funny, and very knowledgable about a wide variety of topics, so I think we would have some interesting conversations throughout the day. Plus, as a top-notch appellate advocate, I'm sure he could give me some beneficial practice tips. We'd probably have a light lunch in downtown Philly, tour the Constitution Center, and then head off to a Phillies game.